Monday, August 6, 2012

Why Worry?


I sang recently at a Sunday church service in my community where the main message for the morning in scripture reading and song was Be Not Afraid!   Don’t Worry! The Scripture reading was from Matthew chapter 6 where Jesus asks,   “And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life”?   The song that I had chosen to sing, “Threaten me with Heaven” by Vince Gill fit exactly into the message. Once again, God reminded me that I am not in control, that life is not about me and I can do nothing on my own. The Lord chose the song He wanted me to sing and gave me a passion for it in order to minister to others, ultimately glorifying Him.

It never really occurred to me before, but worrying and being anxious could actually be considered sin. If I’m honest with myself, I am guilty too often of worrying about how things are going to turn out, and not just relying on God and trusting that he’s “got my back”.   Do I really believe Him when He says,  “seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you”?  I forget, so often that He is on our side and desires for us to succeed in life. When God is in the center of our lives, His desires become our desires and life becomes even more beautiful.

Too often I catch myself stressing about how something is going to work out and forgetting that I’m not really in control of what is going to happen. God is! God calls on me to be productive, not be lazy, to seek answers through prayer, reading His word, and surrounding myself with those who will lift me up and I can likewise encourage and lift them up. I can’t just sit around and expect an answer to fall into my lap. I’ve got to be active and do all I can to work out problems and challenges that come my way. But worry? Stress about what’s going to happen next?   No. There’s no time to worry.  Dreams don’t become reality by worrying. Problems aren’t solved by worrying. No one is encouraged by worrying. The only thing produced from worrying is wrinkles…and it stresses you and everyone around you.
 
The talented writers who penned the lyrics to many of the songs on my CD “Stepping Stone” are dialed right in on what our attitude should be when faced with problems, hardship, and anxiety.    Jamie Owens who wrote “Hard Times” said, “Don’t you fret now child, don’t you worry. The rain’s to help you grow so don’t try to hurry the storms along. The hard times make you strong”. Or Mindy Smith in “Come to Jesus” urging us, “Child, when life don’t seem worth living.  Come to Jesus and let Him hold you in His arms.” Or Nicole Witt and A.J. Yuill who wrote the lyrics to “Fearless” …”You’ll always be there for me, whatever I go through. That’s the difference between your love and this world, I’m fearless with You”.

  Are you fearless about living the Christian life and diving head first into your ambitions and goals with God in the center. Is it easy to just trust God to meet all your needs?   Sometimes I have to turn to the lyrics in my own music and remember that its at the cross that I find peace and purpose, by His blood that I find mercy and truth. I hope the songs I chose to include on my CD are uplifting and an encouragement to you.

Do you struggle with trusting God to see you through the hard times? What brings you back and gets you back on track? I would love to know what gets you through each day. Let me know what you think!

1 comment:

  1. Maddie, I come from a long line of "worriers". I, too, have spent countless hours of my life worrying about things for which I KNOW I have no control. It has taken many years for God to get through to me that my worrying does not change the outcome of whatever I am stressing over. While I am not yet totally "healed" for my need to "control" a situation by worrying, I am much better than I used to be!

    ReplyDelete